So you have a business, you’re juggling your kids and trying to work out how on earth you are going to manage everything? Here are two essential tips that I use religiously in my business that help me be more productive.
1) Plan, Plan and Plan some more!
You have to plan if you want a successful business. How otherwise are you going to be productive and have something to measure against? Take an hour every week, preferably at the end of the week and sit down with a cup of tea or a glass of vino (I won’t judge) and start carving out your plan for the week. Do it like this:
- Schedule all your social media posts over each platform; use a scheduler like Tailwind, Smarter Queue, Buffer
- Work out your top 3 priorities and put those in your diary first with time stamps.
- Put in social media content creation (to use for the following week)
- Fit everything else around these
- Make sure you schedule home related tasks as well like things your kids do, date nights etc.
It really is so beneficial and every time I plan, I feel really good knowing I have something concrete in place. If you actually write it down – physically see it, you are more likely to stick to it! You could even go all out and buy a really nice fancy planner and a pen!
2) The 5 minute list
A five minute list is all those quick jobs you can do when you have 5 minutes spare. Write them down on your phone or tablet so you can access the list easily. Then, when you have 5 minutes, whether it’s when making the kids breakfast, or listening to them moan or dare I say it, 5 minutes in the bathroom to yourself! You can access your list and make your bathroom visit productive!
Some 5 minute things:
- Reading a business related book
- Sourcing content through apps like Feedly
- Sending a text/email
- Putting things on your 5 minute list!
- Listing the top 3 things you have to do that week
It really does work and stops you from spending 5 minutes scrolling social media which is completely pointless and unproductive unless you are actually networking.
If you only have small nuggets of time, make those nuggets count!!